Support for Joomla! 1.5 will be phased out starting September 2012
Geschrieben von David-Andrew de Boer
Montag, 14. Mai 2012
Now that the Joomla! project has ended support for Joomla! 1.5 with its end-of-life in April 2012 (update: extended to September 2012), it's also time for us at Chill Creations to communicate our Joomla! version support policy. I acknowledge the special position of Joomla! 1.5, and that is why we have decided to fully support Joomla! 1.5 even longer than the Joomla! project, with bug and security fixes.
Joomla! 1.5 end-of-life
Policy updated December 2012
We will phase out support for Joomla! 1.5 in our Joomla! extensions starting September 2012.
- Starting September 2012 we will stop promoting the support of Joomla! 1.5 in our extensions.
- The versions that support Joomla! 1.5 will be clearly marked and stay available for download in our downloads section.
- We will release new versions that are compatible with Joomla! 2.5 and 3.x as soon as possible.
- These new versions will no longer support Joomla! 1.5.
- These new versions will mark the end off technical support and bug fixes for Joomla! 1.5 for that extension.
- If major security issues are found in any of the Joomla! 1.5 versions in 2013, we will provide a security fix if at all possible.
All customers that have an active order will continue to receive support and bug fixes and have access to downloads for the Joomla! 2.5 compatible versions of our extensions for the entire lifetime of Joomla! 2.5. If your order is active when we release the Joomla! 3.x versions, you will also get access to those new versions.
If you do not use cciDEAL Virtuemart, skip this section and read on at "Advice and resources".
Lees dit bericht in het Nederlands op Joomla! Virtuemart iDEAL.nl!
There is one exception to the above policy. cciDEAL Virtuemart will not be updated to support Joomla! 2.5, as its functionality has been replaced by cciDEAL Platform. Therefore, cciDEAL Virtuemart will have a slightly different support period, depending on when you purchased it.
- If you purchased cciDEAL Virtuemart before June 2010, you bought the extension under the following conditions: installation on one website and unlimited support for the extension lifetime. You have now had support and access to updates for 2 to 4 years. On September 30th 2012, the product lifetime of cciDEAL Virtuemart ends and so will your access to support and updates.
- If you bought cciDEAL Virtuemart after June 2010 and have an active order you will receive support for cciDEAL Virtuemart as long as your order is active. For example, if you bought cciDEAL Virtuemart in May 2012, we will support you until May 2013.
Advice and resources
Because of the end-of-life of Joomla! 1.5, our advice is to stop installing this version for new websites. A responsible website developer should actually have stopped installing 1.5 for new websites months ago. Joomla! 2.5 is the only version of Joomla! you should be using at the moment. We also advice starting preparations for the migration to Joomla! 2.5, if you have not already.
Migration to Joomla! 2.5 is not impossible. It is off course a slightly complex job that takes some preparing and experimentation, but from experience I can inform you that the sooner you start, the easier it gets.
Below I have collected a few resources which you should make yourself familiar with. They explain, for example, the new Joomla! development strategy and versions, and migration to Joomla! 2.5.