Troubleshooting extension update issues
Are updates not working for you?
In some cases the updates for extensions from Chill Creations aren’t shown in the Joomla administrator, or it’s not possible to update. It’s important that you can see and apply these updates, as they contain bug fixes, new features, PHP compatibility fixes and maybe even security updates.
Sometimes you will see an error “Error updating COM_INSTALLER_TYPE_TYPE_.”, which can have multiple causes.
Luckily, this is relatively easy to solve by following the below steps.
Check your current version
Login to the Joomla website. Go to Components, and then select cciDEAL, ccInvoices or ccNewsletter to open the extension. If you scroll down you will see the extension footer (it has a grey background). In the footer, on the left you see the version of the extension. This should be at least the version shown in the changelog on below links.
If you see these versions, everything is fine! If you see older versions, continue below.
- In Joomla 3 go back Extensions > Manage > Updatesites and click the button “Rebuild”. Joomla 2.5 doesn’t have this page so continue to the next step.
- In your Joomla 3 website go to Extensions > Manage > Update. For Joomla 2.5 it’s Extensions > Extension Manager > Update.
- Click “Clear cache” and after that “Find updates”.
- If you see any updates for Chill Creations, click the checkbox for cciDEAL, ccInvoices or ccNewsletter and click “Update”.
If that does not work, continue below.
Review Chill Creations update plugin
If you can see the updates in the Extension Manager, but can’t update, then review the “Chill Creations update” plugin.
- In your Joomla website go to Extensions > Plugins
- Search for “Chill Creations”
- Find the plugin “Chill Creations update – ccNewsletter, cciDEAL, ccInvoices”
- If the plugin is not installed, you will need to install ccNewsletter, cciDEAL, ccInvoices manually. Updates should work again after that.
- If the plugin is installed, make sure it is active, by checking for a green icon in column “Status”.
If the plugin is installed and active, continue below.
Make sure you have an active subscription on chillcreations.com > My Account. If you don’t have an active subscription, renew it to enable updates. If you do have an active subscription, continue.
Update your Download ID
In your Joomla website go to Components, and then cciDEAL, ccInvoices or ccNewsletter.
For cciDEAL you will immediately see the “Updates” section. For ccInvoices and ccNewsletter go to Configuration > Update settings > Download ID.
If you are using more than one extension from Chill Creations on a single website, you will need to update the download ID in every extension. That’s how you make sure an old download ID isn’t used.
Click on the button “Get your Download ID” to copy it from chillcreations.com > My Account. Paste it into the “Download ID” field in your website.
Try the update again
Now, in Joomla 3 go back Extensions > Manage > Update. For Joomla 2.5 it’s Extensions > Extension Manager > Update.
Click “Clear cache” and after that “Find updates”. If you see any updates for Chill Creations, click the checkbox for cciDEAL, ccInvoices or ccNewsletter and click “Update”.
Still not working?
If you can’t update to the most recent versions, or don’t see the update(s) in the Extension Manager, there might be something wrong with the updater on your site. Get in touch (email@example.com) and we will sort this out.